34 West Seminary Street

Mercersburg, PA 17236

Church:  717-328-2510

Various printed histories of the congregation are available for purchase by contacting the Church Office.

The Presbyterian Church of the Upper West Conococheague was established in 1738 about two miles East of Mercersburg at a place now known as Church Hill.  The early church was served by itinerant preachers until 1754 when the Rev. John Steel became pastor.  These were troubled times; the Indians had become bolder with Braddock's defeat so that the Rev. Steel felt compelled to have his rifle close by the pulpit during church services.  Security was also afforded by a stockade surrounding the church. 

In 1794, on ground given by the Hon. Robert Smith, a new church was built in the new town of Mercersburg.  The structure at Church Hill was abandoned and the building removed in 1885.  The stone walled cemetery remains.  The current Sanctuary was remodeled in 1914-1915, a Chapel addition was added and in 1953 an Education Building was added,

Through God's grace and goodness the members of this congregation have provided a place of worship and ministered to the needs of this community for over 275 years.  With great expectations we look forward to continuing Christ's work in the years ahead.